Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Microscopic Hematuria: Fast Friends

I'm all about full disclosure after a period of time. There are certain things we should keep quiet, but I needed an outlet this time.

My doctor has tested my urine positive for blood for two months in a row. We aren't sure why it is there or what is causing it. I'm not working out as much as I used to. I don't have any weird pain or discomfort. I'm not sick, don't have a fever, and don't feel nauseous. 

My doctors said to go ahead and see an OB/GYN for a consultation and to see what else might cause the problem.

The reason we're a bit worried is because there are no major signs of trauma or anything to indicate a disease. The biggest reason to get checked out and watch this problem is the link between trace amounts of blood in urine and cancer. To my knowledge, no one in my family has/had cancer. I feel safe in that regard.

That doesn't mean I couldn't have cancer for some reason.

I've been reading up on the condition of having blood in your urine, hematuria. There are a variety of reasons listed by the Mayo Clinic and WebMD for hematuria.

I'll keep everyone posted. As of now, I'm just waiting for my first appointment with an OB/GYN. I just want to keep healthy and safe so that I'm not surprised and overwhelmed when we start to seriously think about having children.

1 comment: