Saturday, January 28, 2012

Weight Watchers: Week Two - Surprise Foods to Enjoy

There is always something new to learn when on Weight Watchers. I realize that I have only been doing this for two weeks now. I have been so surprised as I go through my refrigerator and cupboards! Some of the foods that I have been told to avoid are actually not all that bad for me, even better than some foods I was told are "healthier" (if I don't eat the whole pan of it, of course). Here's my short list:

  1. Bacon: While eating gobs of greasy, thick-cut bacon isn't going to help your arteries or your blood pressure, bacon (in moderation) is not a point succubus. Tonight for dinner, I had 4 slices of bacon cut up over leftover pesto. Add in some veggies or fruit and you've got a delicious meal for less than 10 pts.
  2. Vienna Sausage: I grew up on this stuff. It was a way for my mom to feed my sister and I some protein on road trips (of which there were very many). Just to tickle my interest, I used the barcode scanner app for iPhone to see how many points consuming a whole can would be: 6 pts. That means that I can eat the whole can with rice for 13 pts. or less (depending on how much rice I give myself). This may not be a delectable meal for most people, but it's one of my guilty pleasures. Learning that I can indulge that pleasure without breaking the bank really made me happy.
  3. Progresso Soups: I already wrote about this joy a few days ago.
  4. Pasta: I fell in love with pasta in college because I had a huge lacking in the rice department. One of my favorite sauces is pesto. What I have found while grocery shopping is that spinach-based and artichoke flour noodles are considerably less points that the semolina wheat noodles are. You simply have to scan the package with your mobile phone app, punch it into a calculator or check the box. The brand we love is De Boles. They make every type of pasta, even the mini kinds like piccollini, in organic and gluten-free forms. It's also pretty cheap compared to other brands. Just check for sales.
  5. American cheese: I was thinking about what to do for a late breakfast the other day and wondered if an omelette with cheese would cost me big time. I found that it really doesn't. One slice of non-fat American cheese is 0 pts. You read right. My husband and I often make one egg omelettes with onion and a slice of cheese (you can throw in leftover steak or chicken in with it, too). Jake also throws salsa on top of his (which brings me to my next food).
  6. Salsa: I thought for sure that a chip dip of any kind would be bad. However, salsa yields 0 pts. in most cases. We choose to buy Newman's Own salsas because they are veggie-packed and delicious. We haven't found one that we don't like yet.
That's the short list. I hope I've provided you with some valuable knowledge and the ingredients for quick and lazy meals. I weigh in tomorrow. I'm also hoping to get in some measurements. Jake and I have gone down a hole in our belt loops. Happy news! Another short post later to see if I've made progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment